Friday, February 19, 2010

Our Safari Adventure!

Murchison Falls Park is much, MUCH hotter than Kampala. We are all roasting like pigs up here and the mosquito nets around our beds don't let any air in. Last night I slept 3 hours because I was just too hot.

The lack of sleep really didn't seem to effect me too much. We were up at 6am for a quick breakfast and 5-hour game ride. You have to start early if you want to spot any animals, so we had the pleasure of watching the sunrise as we drove around the bush. So beautiful. The morning was theraputic and very meditative. The bush was so quiet, and we were all quiet in our safari jeep as we kept an eye out for animals. This was such a perfect way to end our time in Africa - connecting with nature in silence. Every once in a while the Jurassic Park theme song would run through my head, but otherwise, silence. :)

We saw tons of waterbucks, buffalo, warthogs, birds (there are 450 species of birds in this park alone), and hippos. We also saw huge packs of giraffes and elephants, which was so amazing. I learned that when male giraffes get old they start to turn black. Just one of the many interesting facts you'll learn on a safari adventure. We also saw lions, but they were so far off in the distance that I don't know if I can count it.

We had a very knowledgeable Ugandan wildlife ranger in our jeep. We were reluctant at first because he looked intimidating with his huge gun, but he was immediately kind and helpful. We later found out that the gun was a precautionary measure just in case elephants started charging us and our jeep was stuck. Apparently, elephants can be very aggressive.

Our ranger showed us the Congo's Blue Mountains in the distance. I thought it was so cool that we were close enough to see the DRC. We've realloy seen so much of Uganda in our short time here.

As we drove around, I felt like our jeep must look like a big, strange animal to all of the animals we observed. While it was incredible to visit a place untouched by industry, it felt a little invasive. Nature is just doing it's thing out here, and I hope it stays that way forever.

In the afternoon, we took a boat ride on the Nile from the lodge to Murchison Falls. The ride was about 3 hours long and full of adventure! We saw TONS of hippos, birds, elephants at the water's edge, and Nile Crockadiles!!! I got some great pictures because we were WAY TO CLOSE FOR COMFORT! The crocs sleep with their mouths open. :) We saw two hippos having sex. Got that on video. I felt like I was on an episode of "Planet Earth."

Tonight is our last full night in Uganda. It is also Heather's birthday. We're planning a party in one of the 5 air conditioned rooms in the lodge. I imagine this gathering will be bittersweet for all of us. I'm happy to be going home to my family and dear friends, but I am sad to be leaving Africa and my new friends. This trip was life changing, just as everyone promised it would be, and I will hold each moment in my heart forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment