Saturday, February 6, 2010

I've Arrived!

I'm in Uganda!!! WOO HOO!!!

Even though we landed in the dark, I can tell the country is just beautiful. The smell in the air coming off of the plane was delicious, fresh and sweet- nothing I'd ever smelled from the Earth before. Our bus ride from the airport to the hotel was exciting. As we rushed by the buildings and landscapes, I was so intrigued by the shapes of the trees and bushes, and the activities of the locals on a Saturday night. Many men were walking down the road, motor bikes speeding on the shoulder, and clusters of people every so often, talking around a dim light outside of their homes and businesses. The pavement was so bumpy I felt my spine would shatter at times, but it was also very exhilarating to speed down empty roads. I think in the hour it took to get to the hotel we stopped three times-- there weren't any traffic lights and very few stop signs, if any.

My flights went very smoothly and we took off and landed on-time all 3 times! The airports were easy to navigate and my seat companions were very nice. When we arrived in Entebbe there was a list of names indicating whose luggage didn't make it. A few people in our group were on the list, but will be picking up delayed items tomorrow.

I am now settled in my hotel room at the Sheraton Kampala, and believe me, we are not roughing it here. This room is just as nice as any in the states, and I am so grateful for the opportunity to process what happens day to day in this safe, familiar place.

I've already read 3 letters! During my 25+ hours of travel time, I opened one from Grammy, Dad, and Elizabeth Dowd. I'm glad I chose them. I imagine the Universe will help me decide which letter to open every day so that I'll be getting exactly the kind of support I need from back home, exactly when I need it.

It's 2:00am here in Kampala (my body thinks it's 6pm Saturday), but it's definitely time to rest.

Much love,
Megan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment