Thursday, February 11, 2010

Written on 2/10/10

We started the day with an inspirational yoga practice on the grass outside of our volunteer house. We formed a circle with our mats and did a few sun salutations, standing poses, and backbends. Seane called on some participants to bring their intention for the day into the circle. Spirit flowed through each speaker. At the end, we did call and response chanting with Suzanne. I think the locals must be proud of our ability to sing and dance freely, with passion. Most Ugandans believe that “muzungos” don’t know how to truly express themselves and are very entertained when they see us doing things like hard labor or walking in our barefeet.

After breakfast we headed out to the new birth house. We rode motorcycles there!! The ride was INCREDIBLE! I’ve never been on a motorcycle before and it was one of the best times of my life. Here, they call the motorcycles “bodas,” and it’s the best way to travel around the villages. People will often say, “I’m going on a boda boda.” It’s my new favorite thing.

When we arrived we were split into small groups to rotate around the facility, learning about the different aspects that go into creating the birth house. We literally laid the brick. This is exactly what I told my donors I would be doing, so I was very happy. We stomped in the dirt and water with our bare feet to make it soft and muddy, and then we laid the mud thickly on the foundation and stacked bricks on top. We left a little space between each brick for more mud, and really packed it all in. I marvel at the fact that just a few months ago, this land was covered in jungle. Now buildings stand half finished and roads are cleared. There were no bulldozers to do the job, simply strong hands. I am still grasping the fact that our money is funding the creation of this sacred place.

When we took a break for lunch, I split from the group to sit with Joseph, our driver. I really love talking with Ugandan people. Joseph is so nice and welcoming, always a big smile on his face, happy to see us. We talked about the differences in Ugandan and U.S. culture. I’ve found that no one really judges the U.S.; they are simply interested and often surprised. Joseph asked me how many children I want to have and I said, “One. Or two at the very most.” He thought that was crazy and asked if there was a law in the U.S. that said people couldn’t have more than two. He thinks I should have 5 or 6! He asked how many siblings I have and I said I was the only one. He was shocked and said it must be harder for me to get married. I asked why he thought this and he said, “Since you are the only one, it will be hard for your parents to give you away.” In Uganda, men still pay a dowry for their wives and own her as property. Joseph told me his father died when he was young, and when his mother re-married the new husband kicked Joseph out of the house because he was another man’s son. He moved to Kampala, but still considers his village home. His mother’s husband recently passed away, so Joseph can now go back on holidays to visit his mom. Joseph says I should stay and live in Uganda. He has become a great friend in only four short days. He is always making sure I’ve had enough to eat, and always concludes that I never eat enough.

After lunch we went on a walking tour with Sam, a neighbor to the birth center. His family owns a lot of the land surrounding the site. He showed us his home, his father’s home, and his grandfather’s home. In 1982 there was a war in this part of the country that lasted for five years (separate from the war in the north) and Sam’s family was forced to leave. When the war ended, they returned and all of their homes were still intact. He showed us his family’s graveyard—at least 20 long tombstones populated the area. Sam explained that Ugandan’s take burial very seriously. People must be buried with their families, and a woman is always buried with her husband’s family since he bought her. Sam does not necessarily believe that this is the only way things should be in the world. He simply states that this is the way it is in Uganda and has always been. He was a very loveable man.

Now…I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go here on this blog, but I must tell you. The bathroom situation is hit or miss in the villages. At the birth center I ended up squatting over a narrow hole in the ground! There are bricks for your feet, and you’re lucky if there’s toilet paper. I feel I could go to the bathroom anywhere now! We also have to be conscious of the setting sun, because unless you have a flashlight, you won’t be able to see what you’re doing. It’s all been a humbling learning experience. J

After our long day of work at the site, I was feeling EXHAUSTED! I was dangerously close to not going back for the evening party with the women due to a severe headache. I drank three bottles of water, took some ibuprofen and was good to go. As soon as we arrived, there was singing and dancing. The children were shaking their hips like mad and skipping around in circles with us. There was a big bond-fire in the center of the site and as the sun slowly set, it became our only light. The sunset was absolutely beautiful- exactly as I imagined it should be- sinking slowly beyond the African trees as the stars came out, one by one. The night sky is brilliant in the middle of a remote village, and it brought tears to my eyes. I had one of those “I-can’t-believe-I’m-in-Africa” moments.

I played with an adorable little girl most of the evening. My tongue was red from the powder I added to my water for hydration, and she wanted a red tongue too, so she took the second half of my bottle and drank it, sticking out her tongue periodically so I could confirm her mouth was red too. I tried to teach her to touch her tongue to her nose, but she didn’t quite get that one. She walked around with my bottle for the rest of the evening, proud of her red mouth.

Tonight is our last night in the birth center. I’m only being completely honest when I say I am looking forward to the Sheraton Kampala. For now, mosquito net here I come.

p.s.- The Ugandan word for "thank you" is "Weebale" (pronounced, "Way-bah-lay"). Joseph taught me and I've been saying it about 20 times a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment