Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The End, The Beginning

Today was our last day at the Building Tomorrow site, and our final opportunity to play with the children. I must say that play got a little out of control. We heard that this was the biggest turn out from the community for a school building project that Building Tomorrow has ever had.

Victoria led a great group dance and we played Frisbee and jump rope in smaller groups. Then, the stickers came out and the kids went FUCKING CRAZY! I kept saying, "Form a line!" but it was hugely unsuccessful and overwhelming. The kids ended up fighting over soccer balls, which was not good, so we had to cease distribution. There was definitely an element of chaos today, and maybe that's, in part, due to the group's energy. Many of us were exhausted and irritable, just doing our best to be there. I bet the kids can sense this disconnect and maybe that's why they turned against one another.

We've been eating boxed lunches on the bus every day on site, and doing our best to conceal our eating from the locals. Today, I was sitting in the very back of the bus and a man that had asked me for money yesterday came up to my window and stuck his hand through for food. My heart dropped down into my stomach. I felt both frustrated and horrible. I had a little less than half a sandwich left, and we were specifically asked not to feed anyone, but this man has been plaguing me. So, discreetly, I passed along my sandwich and then shut the window in his face. I know how this sounds, but it's what you have to do. Everyone is poor. Everyone is hungry. If I were him, I'd ask for money and food too. It just sucks.

Before we left, we planted a tree on site. Our last bit of work in Uganda. I heard that Building Tomorrow bought 25 trees total, one for each of the women who raised $20,000, to plant in the courtyard.

I feel my heart has grown 25 times bigger to make space for the beautiful women I've taken this journey with, for the Joseph's, for Uganda. And especially for all of the people I'm coming home to that have supported me throughout this entire journey. As I make space for all of this new love, I'm letting go of a lot of fear, and that's the greatest reward of all.

The Universe is pretty funny. I'm finding that all I have to do is ask, and within a very small time frame Spirit delivers almost immediately. Two nights ago, I sat down with the Universe and asked for help. I said, "Show me what to do next." And not two days later, I have my answer.

The Acholi Quarters have stayed with me since the very first day of this trip. I'm aware of how much it impacted me simply because I couldn't sleep AT ALL the night after our visit. That's usually a pretty good indication that I need to listen to my soul. I feel like of all the groups we worked with, that slum was the only place that we didn't offer sustainability. We came in with our donations and we left. Those people deserve more and I plan on seeing to it that they get more.

This afternoon a few of us sat down with two representatives from the Acholi Quarters- Faustino and Gilbert. These two men know the Acholi Quarters like the back of their hand, and they have experience in working with Invisible Children, another organization based in Uganda. We asked what the greatest needs are in the community, and they were ready to give us clear, direct answers. I was very impressed by their knowledge of the area and their game plan for improving the community. I have a very strong feeling about this work and feel comfortable sharing it's beginning stages. I introduce to you, the Acholi Quarters Project!

Number one, the children need to get a proper education. The few children that are in the surrounding Kampala schools are getting a poor education. The children need a real shot at helping their communities, so the men proposed that we set up a scholarship fund to send children to boarding school. It costs about $8,000 to pay for one child's ENTIRE education. This includes grades 1-12, about $700/year. The scholarship would require that the student comes back to the Acholi Quarters to help their community in whatever way inspires them.

Number two, while the community has some access to clean water, it's not nearly enough. There are fresh water taps stationed around the community, but the families that live by the taps manipulate other families into paying for fresh water. Most people cannot afford even 5 cents for the water, so they will go to the contaminated well instead. We are proposing that more taps are installed around the area to make clean water available to more people, perhaps reducing the price of fresh water or completely eliminating fees. We are waiting to hear back from Gilbert about how much that will cost.

Lastly, I am bringing back an ENTIRE CHECKED BAG FULL OF NECKLACES!! The Acholi women make recycled paper bead necklaces as part of their income generating group. I have a much better chance of selling their beads at a greater price than they do, so I have volunteered to support their group by selling as many beads as I can by August 2010. 100% of the profits will support the women of the Acholi Quarters. In this area, the women work and the majority of the men do not, so it is the woman's income that provides food and education for their children.

We've got three projects in place- improved education for the children, fresh water for more families, and profits for the women's income generating group. I feel we can make a significant impact as we carry the momentum from this trip back to the States, raising awareness about what we did and saw. The Acholi Quarters was the most hauntingly beautiful place I have ever visited and it is my intention to go back very soon and see our new projects come to flourishen.

Keep on loving,
Megan :)


P.S. - Tomorrow we leave for our Safari! It's about a 5-hour ride up to the Safari Lodge. Friday will be spent on a game ride and the afternoon on the Nile River. Saturday we'll make the drive back to Kampala, have a nice dinner, and then go to the airport for our departure back to the States. I may not have internet access during this time, so please wait to hear from me until the Brussels airport!

No comments:

Post a Comment