Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Things I'm Worrying About...or...Thank you, Dad.

I leave for Uganda in 9 days and here are the things that I'm worrying about...

1. Getting lost in airports/missing flights on the way to Uganda
2. Losing my luggage
3. Not packing enough of what I need
4. Getting robbed or hurt
5. Getting sick (sinus infection, diarrhea, flu, etc.)
6. Getting malaria or AIDS, etc.
7. Not being physically prepared for the work we'll be doing
8. Not being able to handle what I witness, emotionally
9. Not knowing enough about the culture or country
10. Missing Christopher and not being able to contact him
11. Encountering snakes, spiders, crockadiles, etc.
12. Not being able to afford my mortgage when I return and racking up credit card bills again
13. Fear. Fear of inevitable death and horrors.

Not saying that I think I'll die on this trip, but fear of death certainly manifests itself through all of the more petty and irrational fears listed above. I am practical, cautious, and CRAZY all at once. And, often, I totally miss the point of why I signed up for this journey in the first place: To serve others and change my own life in the process. Perhaps that is what I'm most afraid of. The real probability that I will come back a different person, and what that will mean for my current commitments and relationships. Yeah. That's pretty scary too. Where did all of my excitement go? I fluctuate faster that I know, between the extremes of excitement and fear.

It's time I offer this up to the Universe and start trusting in the divine path laid out before me. Much better chance of getting a good night's sleep.

<3 Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment