Monday, January 11, 2010

The Journey Begins

This journey began on January 15th, 2009, the day I decided to raise $20,000.  Though, I could also say it started in August of 2006, when I first stepped onto my yoga mat, or, perhaps I've been on this path all along.  Either way, here I am, now preparing for the trip of a lifetime, and I'm equally excited and terrified.  This blog will document the inner and outer journey.  If you are a donor, friend, or simply an interested reader, the purpose of this blog is to take you with me to Uganda.

Uganda is home to the longest-running war in Africa.  Over the past 23 years, millions of families have been displaced and children are still being abducted by the Lord's Resistance Army.  We will be traveling to the capital, Kampala, and the surrounding rural areas to assist in the development of a birth center, school, and sustainable farms for these facilities.  

Twenty-one people successfully raised $20,000 in 2009 and we will all be traveling to Uganda from February 5 - 21, 2010.  Between all 160 participants, we raised $570,000 and counting.  The goal this year was $500K, and with the state of the economy, the outcome of our efforts is simply outstanding.  

I've already started packing!  We had a conference call (all 21 participants on the line) to connect and answer questions pre-trip.  One suggestion was to lay out everything we want to bring now and gradually make the pile smaller throughout the month.  My hope is to bring a large suitcase of donations and a small carry-on bag for my personal items.  This will be a challenge for me!

Below is my packing list.  Perhaps this list will be helpful for others traveling in the future, or maybe you have suggestions for me!

Yellow card with proof of Yellow Fever vaccination
Clean, crisp, $50 bill printed after 2006 for a visa
Filled prescriptions of Cipro (Traveler's diaherrea), Malerone (Malaria pills), and Ambien (flight)
Regular prescription meds
Pepto Bismol, immodium, anti-motion sickness pills
Multi-vitamins
Ibprofen
Bandaids, gauze, tape, neosporin
Anti-itch cream (insect bites)
Sigg water bottle
Insect repellent + insect repellent for clothes
Sunscreen
Side bag and inner fanny pack
Copies of passport, ID, bank cards etc (leave one copy with family member, one copy goes with me)
Jacket/sweatshirt for chilly evenings
Poncho
Yoga paws (better than traveling with mat)
Yoga clothes
Light, loose, long shirts, pants and skirts
Socks, underware
Sneakers, sandals
Phone and charger
camera and charger
converter and 3 prong adapter
Ear plugs, eye mask, chapstick, Ayr (for flight)
Work gloves
hat, sun glasses
Flashlight and extra batteries
Hand sanitizer
Snacks
Roll of toilet paper?
Soap, shampoo, conditioner
Razor
Toothbrush, paste, floss
Cough drops, eye drops
Bathing suit
Books, journal, letters to me
Spending money printed after 2006, no rips or stamps
Donations for school and birth center

Travel time for me will be a total of 19 hours in the air, 25 hours total if you include layovers.  There's not enough Ambien in the world to make that experience pleasant.  If you have tips for me, I'm all ears!

Until next time, 

Xoxo
Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment