Thursday, March 15, 2012

Kony 2012 Thoughts

"These past few days have been a wild cyber ride in regards to Uganda. I have mixed feelings about the KONY 2012 campaign. It is brilliant in its scope, reach, film-making technique, etc. I wish it was more accurate in its depiction of current day Uganda. I also wish people weren't rushing to send all of their money to IC to stop KONY, when there are some wonderful programs on the ground in Uganda, run by Ugandans, that would be more useful to fund at this point. I have 5th graders emailing me in tears because they are terrified that Kony is going to kill their pen pals in Kampala. I hope this emotionally-triggered awareness will, at some point, result in some support for programs that are currently happening to rebuild Uganda. I am approaching this as an opportunity to shine a light on issues currently facing Uganda. I just want to be sure and do so in a thoughtful, responsible way. I want to highlight the difference between reactive activism and conscious activism.

Global Shine Project is planning a trip back to Uganda in May 2013. We will be continuing our support of OTM projects, Building Tomorrow & Shanti Uganda, as well as working with our new partner, Breakdance Project Uganda. We will also be traveling to Gulu this go round. We are currently planning itinerary and hope to have it out soon. We are already filling spots!" - Amanda Stuermer, co-founder of Global Shine Project, fellow participant in Seva Challenge 2009: Uganda, and super smart friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment