Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Year Later


It's been a year since our trip to Uganda. So much has happened. The transition back to my "real life" was quite challenging. Upon my return to the States, I immediately started engaging in my old, bad habits in order to cope with all of the things that struck me about our experiences in Africa, and also as a way to fill the void of the things I missed about our trip. 2009 was a year of fundraising and bus-y-ness. 2010 was a year of slowing down and coming back to myself. It was necessary that I process the work that the trip required, and take the opportunity to examine what I was ignoring about myself while serving others. To do effective and sustainable work in the world, we must truly be doing our own work. We must look inside ourselves every day and consider why we make certain choices. I now often ask myself, "Is this a choice?" "Am I doing this for me or for someone else? And if not for myself, why am I doing it?" These are crucial questions if we want to live a truthful life.

After about 6 months off from any kind of service work, in September of 2010 I started up a new organization: "Furry Feet Yoga." Shortly after my return from Uganda, Christopher and I adopted our first puppy, Horatio. He's a lab/pit bull/malamute mix, and he is absolutely beautiful and wonderful. I didn't know I could love an animal like I love Horatio. So I decided to start an organization that raises money for rescue shelters and animal support organizations here in the Lehigh Valley. Our first fundraiser was for the shelter where we got Horatio and in January we raised over $1,000. Our next fundraiser is scheduled for April. We're still working out the logistics, but if you're interested in keeping up with our events, visit www.MeganRidge.com/Furry_Feet_Yoga for details.

Life is good. I remember the great quote my mom wrote to me at the end of every letter I read in Uganda. "No one can do everything, but everyone can do something. If everyone does something, together we can change the world."

Love to all beings,
Megan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment