Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What Will You Do Next?

Whoa dudes...Can't believe we're leaving for Uganda in 18 days!!

I took a workshop with Seane Corn at Yogaphoria in New Hope, PA last weekend. She is a co-founder of Off the Mat, Into the World, the organization that made this fundraising and travel opportunity possible. Seane is leading the trip to Uganda, along with Suzanne Sterling (another co-founder), and Sally Brown Bassett from Peace Through Yoga. I know we will be in good hands simply being in the presence of these incredible women.

Last year, around the same weekend, I was studying with Seane at Yogaphoria and she mentioned the Uganda Seva Challenge. When I went home that night, I couldn't sleep. I just kept thinking about the challenge. I knew in my heart that I had the time and resources to call my community to action and raise the $20,000. The next morning, over breakfast, I told my boyfriend, Christopher, I was going to Uganda, knowing next to nothing about the country at that time. He supported me without hesitation. Later that day, I called my parents and told them about my new, exciting endeavor. They were not as enthusiastic. Of course, concerned for my sanity and future safety, they cautioned me to think it through. Impatience runs in my blood (thanks, Mom :) and that evening, I signed my letter of intention on OTM's website. I started writing letters to family, friends, acquaintances, and strangers. I created a facebook group, email list and blog. We planned 20+ events. We made shirts. In 8 short months, the money was raised and my life was forever changed.

Christopher recently asked me, "What will you do next?" I thought about it, and remembered that cold, January night, exactly a year ago, when my intuition interrupted my dreams so abruptly and clearly, that I couldn't ignore the call. I responded, "I think I'll just know what to do next when it's time for me to do it."

For now, I've "rehearsed-packed" for the trip and am proud to say that ALL of my personal items fit into my carry-on bag with room to spare! I've also been connecting with several of the participants, exchanging ideas about what to bring and how to prepare. Facebook has become a wonderful resource for pre-trip connection. I imagine it will also be a nice way to maintain friendships after this journey has come to it's completion.

Til' next time, keep on lovin' and listenin' to that voice that keeps you up at night.

<3 Megan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment